Monday, March 26, 2012

Growing Up Today (Commentary on Commentary)

After my last blog post, I spent a lot of time thinking about our generational differences. But then I decided that it is idiotic to spend all this time bickering about our differences, it only makes me personally resent all the people I live with everyday even more. That statement does admit that a) resent them a lot of the time and spend a lot of angst saying that I hate them and b) that my last post was rather a gut reaction to what I fully saw as an attack on my efforts in this world.

This is my final gut statement that I would add to that post before continuing with this one: I might note that I fully believe that I belong to a generation that is creating and connecting more than any generation before us. If it is the over 40/ under 40 gap that we are discussing, then my generation can take credit for Facebook (created by a 20 year old)  and Twitter (created by a 30 year old) and YouTube (created by three people in their 20's and early 30's) and probably dozens more things that we as a generation are using to change with world.  I conclude that my generation has created their own problems in creating solutions to other problems.

With that piece of information off my chest, I would like to make this statement:

My life is not horrible: it's awesome! I love the technology we live with, it makes for a world that I see as much more productive than that of our elders. But your life hasn't been horrible either, only different. I feel that this battle (word battle whatever you wanna call it) is completely counter productive. There has been far too much talking and attacking and not nearly enough listening. I know that I don't feel very heard on what I am trying to say but even more so I realize that I am not hearing what my elders have to say on this topic because they are trying to say it in such an attacking manor.

So I would like to say that I'm done attacking. I'll listen to anyone who (pardon my french) doesn't want to just bitch about their life. And I will be completely honest to anyone who wants to really, honestly listen to me.

For the mature, because maturity has no age,
DWF

No comments:

Post a Comment